Where in the world has time gone? The past year has flown on by and Not Starving Yet has officially turned 1. It's been a great year and I couldn't have done it without your support. Since we've accomplished so much this year I thought it was only fitting to celebrate some of the highlights starting with...
My 15 Minutes of Fame
The year started out with an unexpected bang when my dinosaur bones s'mores cake went viral on the one day I decided to take a day off (go figure.) I had just left for a day out with my son when my husband called to let me know I had made the front page of the internet (aka Reddit.) In 24 hours I had over 940,000 views and my fellow Redditors dubbed my cake Jurrasicake.
Fame like that could have gone to my head, but don't worry, it didn't (much.) After that I continued on as usual and managed to make enough messes and have enough accidents for an entire kitchen full of cooks. Graceful is something that I am not, despite years and years of studying dance and martial arts.
You may have seen my most recent kitchen antics on
although I failed to take a photo of the aftermath of my kitchen cabinet that collapsed last week. Anyone know a good yet affordable cabinet builder? New kitchen cabinets just went to the top of my mile long things that I need to replace list, even surpassing our broken air conditioner. A girl has to have priorities!
Food For a Cause
This year I decided to use my kitchen talents to give back and I can't even begin to tell you how amazing that was. I participated in the 3rd annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap which partnered withCookies for Kids' Cancer to raise money to fund new therapies used in the fight against pediatric cancer. It was a lot of fun and I can't wait to participate again next year. I made gingerbread boys to send out to the bloggers I was paired up with, they're one of my favorite cookies and it turns out my readers loved them nearly as much as I do. It ended up being my most viewed cookie recipe this year.
In case you were wondering... This years top ten most-viewed recipes are:
- Dinosaur Bones S'mores Cake (it will take a lot to push this one from the #1 spot)
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Gingerbread Boys
- Great Grandma Bessie's Peanut Butter Cookies
- Garlic Parmesan Green Beans
- Easy Crock-Pot Applesauce
- Basic Cajun Seasoning Mix
- Egg Drop Soup
- Green Bean Casserole with Caramelized Onion, Bacon, and Mushrooms
Lessons I've learned this past year
- Some days I just don't feel like writing and other days life gets in the way. It's best to plan ahead and have back up posts in reserve for when life happens.
- I can't do it all at once and trying to do it all at once means something else in my life suffers. This usually winds up being general housekeeping, so it's a good thing we don't often have company.
- Social media will eat up all of my time, but only if I let it. It also take a lot of effort to gain a social media following which is something I had no clue about when I first started blogging a year ago.
- Don't be afraid to take a day off (but be careful when you do, it's the day you're going to become internet famous!)
- There is one thing that hasn't changed since high-school, I still have a problem with run-on sentences. I've been making a lot of effort to improve the quality of my writing now that I know where my weaknesses lie.
What's Coming Up Next?
I have so much planned for the next year that I don't even know where to begin.
- Starting next week I'll be spending two weeks covering tea, books, and food with a French theme.
- Later in June we'll be having our first giveaway! I was hoping to have it coincide with our blogiversary, but I've been so busy there wasn't enough time. Looks like it will be a belated blogiversary giveaway, but it should be open to my readers in Canada and the US. More details to come soon.
- More chocolate tutorials! They've been a lot of fun, so I have a few more projects up my sleeves.
That just barely scratches the surface of what I have planned for the rest of the year, so make sure you check back to see what we're up to here at Not Starving Yet. It's going to be a fun year!