After months of cold weather I always look forward to spring and the start of fair and festival season. I can't think of anything better than the chance to be outside on a beautiful day, cold drink in hand, spending time with my family. While we're walking around listening to music or talking with strangers we love to stop at the various concession stands offering the types of food you'll only see at these kind of events. It's always hard to choose what we want to munch on, do we go with a funnel cake or kettle corn? Then there are corn dogs and brats to consider as well. The one thing I never have to make a decision on is what I'll have to drink. There is nothing quite like the fresh-squeezed shaken lemonade you can only find served up at fairs and festivals and the lines are always the longest at the stands who sell it.
If you've never taken the opportunity to order a shaken lemonade, then you've really missed out. The good news is you don't need to wait around for the next fair to find out what all the fuss is about. Shaken lemonade is a snap to make at home. You only need four simple ingredients and porch swing to sit back and enjoy it on. Well, the porch swing is optional, but it would be much better to enjoy it that way, don't you think?Fair Style Shaken Lemonade
makes 2 servings
2 16 ounce jars with lids
1 organic lemon, cut in half *see notes
¼ - ½ cup white sugar
- Wash lemons thoroughly, cut them in half, and remove the seeds.
- Use your hands to juice each half lemon directly into the jars you'll be serving the lemonade in. When you're done squeezing the juice out of the lemons just drop them in the jar.
- Add ⅛ - ¼ cup of sugar per jar, fill halfway with ice, then top off with water leaving about an inch of headroom.
- Put lids on the jars and shake until the sugar has dissolved. Enjoy!
* I prefer to use organic lemons since they'll be dropped in the jar, but it isn't necessary.