There may be a wide variety of tea brewing tools on the market, but to brew a good cup of tea, most of those items aren't necessary. Keep in mind that tea has been consumed for thousands of years, long before modern technology was around to make it a complicated process. I believe that brewing tea should be as uncomplicated as possible, but I still like to rely on a few modern tools to ensure I am making the best tea possible. Here are a few tips and tools that may help you get started.
- Start out with your favorite tea and good quality water. What really makes the difference in the outcome of your drink is the quality of the items you start with and the care you take when preparing it.
- Choose a cup, travel mug, or tea pot, whichever is most convenient to you, and a way to strain the leaves. I like to use a Finum Brewing Basket because it makes straining the tea simple.
- Accuracy is very important when it comes to brewing tea, so take care to measure the amount of leaf you are using with a measuring spoon or scale. A scale is especially important when using larger leaf teas that will not fit on a measuring spoon.
- Small differences in temperature can make your tea undrinkable, especially when it comes to preparing green and white teas, which are much more delicate and easier to burn. Read the suggested brewing instructions included with your tea, boil your water using an electric or stove top kettle, and if necessary let it cool to the proper temperature before steeping. Having a thermometer handy will help ensure you are using the correct temperature water.
- Different teas require different amounts of time for steeping. Letting your leaves steep for longer than suggested may yield a bitter cup of tea. If you are easily distracted like I am, invest in a simple timer with a really annoying beep.
Sit back and enjoy your tea!
This is a three part series, follow the links below for parts one and two.
This post contains my Amazon affiliate links. I try to keep advertising unobtrusive and to a minimum in order to provide you with the best experience possible. Purchases made through these links provide me with a small income and ensure I can continue providing you with quality content.